Cambodia Accelerates Demining Operations in Areas Affected by Thai Incursions

Cambodia: Cambodian authorities have intensified demining operations in residential areas along the border to clear unexploded ordnance (UXO) remaining from recent military incursions by Thai forces, officials said on Wednesday.

According to Agence Kampuchea Presse, H.E. Heng Ratana, Director-General of the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC), confirmed that specialised units are currently prioritising the clearance of civilian zones. The operations aim to neutralise remnants of war, including cluster munitions, that continue to pose a lethal threat to returning inhabitants.

"CMAC forces are pushing forward with the clearance of war remnants resulting from Thai incursions into Cambodian sovereign territory," H.E. Heng Ratana said. "We are focusing specifically on residential areas that were devastated during past hostilities."

The Director-General added that these efforts align with a priority mandate from Prime Minister Samdech Moha Borvor Thipadei Hun Manet to ensure the safe return of displaced civilians to their homes.

Beyond the physical threat of explosives, Cambodia has accused Thailand of attempting to establish a fait accompli on the ground. Recent reports from the field detail the installation of barbed wire, concrete structures, shipping containers, and trenches, as well as the destruction of Cambodian homes in previously occupied zones.

The Royal Government of Cambodia, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, has issued several formal protests regarding these activities.

Cambodia maintains a firm stance against any attempt to unilaterally alter the border through the use of force or physical encroachment.