A public scheme to ease the economic impacts of COVID-19 has distributed more than US$260 million to needy households, Ministry of Economy and Finance Secretary of State H.E. Vongsey Vissoth said Wednesday.
Speaking at the opening of the spring meetings of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in Washington, he said the design of the new cash-transfer scheme began in April last year.
He said the first challenge was to identify poor and vulnerable people, with the help of the Ministry of Planning. The second was to develop an electronic delivery system for the scheme, he said.
Following the scheme’s launch in June, the secretary of state said provincial and district authorities helped iron out problems.
“We always have complaints about who’s supposed to get and who’s supposed not to get this,” he said.
“We managed to do I think so far effectively in terms of cash transfers,” he added. “Up to now, we’ve spent over US$260 million.”
H.E. Vongsey Vissoth was speaking at a virtual event on green, resilient and inclusive aspects of the post-COVID economic recovery.
The IMF recognised Cambodia’s new cash-payments system in a report last month.
“Cambodia, starting with very little in the way of social protection generally, has used a system designed to identify those living in poverty to deliver cash transfers,” the report said.
Source: Agency Kampuchea Press